Eric S.T. Young is a sole practitioner providing legal services in the areas of estate planning and probate and trust administration and litigation. A graduate of Punahou School, Harvard University (with honors), and the William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Mr. Young prepares wills, trusts, powers of attorney and health care directives, and counsels beneficiaries and individual and corporate fiduciaries regarding trust and probate law, fiduciary duties, liabilities, claims and defenses, estate, gift and generation-skipping taxes, capital gains taxes, information and document disclosures, prudent administration, trust distribution standards, fiduciary compensation, probate and trust accounting, creditors’ claims, priority of debts, taxes and expenses of administration, partial and in kind-non-pro rata distributions to beneficiaries, wind-up reserves, elective share litigation, statutory allowances, document interpretation, and duties of loyalty and impartiality. Mr. Young also serves as a court-appointed master and kokua kanawai.
Mr. Young has been awarded “Lawyer of the Year – Trusts and Estates Litigation” by Best Lawyers in America as reported in Honolulu Magazine, is listed in Best Lawyers in America and Hawaii Super Lawyers in “Trusts & Estates” and “Litigation – Trusts & Estates”, is ranked in U.S. News Best Law Firms (Hawaii) in “Trusts & Estates” and “Litigation – Trusts & Estates”, has an “AV” Preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell, and has been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC), a nonprofit organization comprised of the nation’s premier trust and estate attorneys.
Mr. Young is a member of the Hawaii Judiciary’s Committee on the Uniform Probate Code and Probate Court Practices, is a past Chair of the Probate and the Elder Law sections of the Hawaii State Bar Association, and teaches estate planning at the Richardson School of Law. He has written and spoken extensively on estate planning and trust and probate law in Hawaii to legal professionals.
Examples of Mr. Young’s services include:
- Estate Planning – Advises clients regarding wills, testamentary trusts, revocable trusts, irrevocable trusts, powers of attorney, advance health care directives, estate, gift and generation-skipping taxation, asset protection, and planning for incapacity.
- Conservatorships and Guardianships – Advises clients regarding the establishment and administration of conservatorships and guardianships of incapacitated persons and minors.
- Probate and Trust Administration & Litigation – Represents trustees, personal representatives and conservators in connection with trust probate and conservatorship administration, compliance with fiduciary duties, accounting to beneficiaries, potential claims and liabilities, conflicts of interest, removal and surcharge issues, will and trust interpretation and construction, income and principal distributions, and termination and wind-up issues.
Mr. Young’s published works include:
- Speaker/author, “Estate Administration From Start to Finish”, National Business Institute, Ala Moana Hotel, Honolulu (December 10, 2015)
- Speaker/author, “Estate Planning: What You Need to Know Personally and Professionally”, American Bar Association Webinar (August 5, 2015)
- Speaker, “Litigation Affecting Estate Planners”, HSBA Probate Section (June 2015)
- Speaker/author, “Estate Planning”, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) Convention, Scottsdale, Arizona (November 7, 2014)
- Co-author, “Planning Ahead: Practical Financial and Estate Planning Considerations”, Hawaii Bar Journal (October 2014)
- Speaker, “Drafting Wills in Hawaii”, Legal Aid Society of Hawaii (September 17, 2014)
- Speaker/co-author, Hawaii Probate Forms Manual, HSBACLE (4th ed. 2014), Informal Proceedings, HEI Training Room, Honolulu (January 10, 2014)
- Speaker, “Current Issues in Elder Law Litigation”, HSBA Elder Law Section (April 11, 2012)
- Co-editor-in-chief, Hawaii Conservatorship and Guardianship Forms Manual, HSBACLE (2nd ed. 2010)
- Speaker/co-author, Hawaii Probate Forms Manual, HSBACLE (3rd ed. 2008)
- Speaker/author, Key Issues in Estate Planning, National Business Institute (2008)
- Speaker/co-author, Encyclopedia of Estate Planning, HSBA (2007)
- Speaker/author, Drafting Estate Planning Documents in a Changing Environment, Lohrman Educational Services (2007)
- Co-editor-in-chief, Hawaii Conservatorship and Guardianship Forms Manual, HSBACLE (1st ed. 2005)
- Author, Hawaii Law Aids in End-of-Life Decisions, The Honolulu Advertiser, page A-18, (April 8, 2005)
- Speaker/co-author, Hawaii Probate Forms Manual, HSBACLE (2nd ed. 2003)
- Speaker/author, How to Draft Wills and Trusts in Hawaii, National Business Institute (2003)
- Speaker/author, Surrogate Decision Making, Substituted Judgment and Incapacity: Guardianships, Trusts and Powers of Attorney, Hawaii Tax Institute (2002)
- Speaker/author, Testamentary Trusts, Ninth Annual Financial and Estate Planning Seminar, HICLE (1996)